Under Currents by Nora Roberts Book Review!

Hey!!

I thought I would do a book review for Under Currents by Nora Roberts as I have just finished it as part of the Tandem Collective readalong! (@tandemcollectiveuk).

The synopsis: The perfect facade can hide dark undercurrents. From the outside, the house in Lakeview Terrace looks perfect and the Bigelows seem like the perfect family. But the perfect facade hides dark undercurrents. Teenager Zane and his younger sister, Britt, are terrorised by their violent father until one dark, brutal night when their father's temper takes a horrifying turn for the worse. Over time, Zane moves on and builds a new life for himself but a childhood like that can cast a shadow the length of a lifetime. Can Zane ever really be free of his past? Or could those dark undercurrents rise back to the surface, forcing Zane to fight for his life once again...

My thoughts: 
- Definitely a 4 star read!

From the first few pages of this book I was hooked, part one explores the abuse Zane and Britt experience by their father and oh my it was intense!!! It was written in so much depth that it genuinely felt as if I was there. The abuse was so extreme and chilling, I was so tense throughout the whole of part one wondering what was going to happen next! I instantly loved Zane, he was so protective of his younger sister. From the first few pages I hated Graham (Zane's dad) - he was such a disturbing character and the control he had upon his family, especially his wife, was so extreme! Just the whole part one of this book was extreme and I couldn't put it down!! Eliza (Zane's mum) was a character who really shocked me too - I expected certain behaviours from her but she was so different!

The sections after this were quite different, in the sense that they weren't as extreme and intense as the first section - but in these sections we really got to understand Zane more as a person, as an adult. We got to explore him and his relationships and it really displayed how protective Zane was of not just his sister, but of those close to him. We are shown the relationship between Zane and a new character, Darby, who had similar experiences to Zane, and again - I just loved Zane more and more. As a character, I really liked Darby too - she also had a protective nature about her and she was just so genuine. 
At first, I wasn't too keen on how different part one and part two were - but the more I read the more I really liked how in depth we got to understand the characters and each of their stories. I would have definitely liked the book to have included a little more focus on Britt too in the later sections as I felt like she was kind of forgotten about but Zane and Darby's relationship was central to the story line!

I loved the ending plot of this book - i didn't really anticipate it and I really enjoyed the added twist at the end of it! The book could have gone multiple ways but I was really happy with the ending of it.
I loved the interlink of the multiple characters experience with abuse - it focused on so many different aspects and it really interlinked all of the characters and the plot really well. The emotions individuals experience after suffering abuse was really explored well by the author.

The suspense and tension was built throughout the book with many different events occurring in each section and without a doubt this is a book that will keep you hooked and turning the pages!!!
Let me know if you have read this one and your thoughts!!






Comments