April 5 Star Reads!

Hey guys!

Today I wanted to talk about some of the 5 star reads I read in April, I had a really successful reading month and there were quite a few reads that I absolutely loved! So here goes my 5 star recommendations, which are ALL thrillers too!

My first 5 star read was Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier; the synopsis 'Five years ago, Geo's first love was revealed as a terrifying serial killer. But he escaped custody and went on the run. Now, bodies have started turning up, killed in exactly the same way as before. The message is clear: he is making his way to her, one murder at a time...'.
For me this book was everything I want in a thriller! The chapters switched between Geo's life now, and Geo's life before - when she was dating her first love - I found that this really helped to add to the suspense of what was going to happen, you really got to understand the characters in so much depth. My heart broke for Geo, she was in such a horrible situation and I wouldn't wish that upon anybody! But this thriller really kept me on the edge of my seat, I couldn't put it down and I was not expecting the big twist!! It was the kind of thriller where you think you know what is going on, but by the end you just realise you didn't as so many new shocking things were revealed!

The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware (which was kindly gifted to me by Tandem Collective as part of their readalong) is definitely up there with my all time favourite reads! The synopsis; 'When Rowan comes across the advert, it seems too good to be true, a live-in nanny position, with an extremely generous salary. What she doesn't know is that she's stepping into a nightmare - one that will end with a child dead and her in a cell awaiting trial for murder. She knows she's made mistakes. But she's not guilty - at least not of murder. Which means someone else is...' 
I was not disappointed by this read, wow. Can I just express how amazing Ruth Ware writes thrillers?! From the very start I was hooked, this novel was just so gripping in so many different ways. The suspense was built right from the start, regarding the house being quite scary with so many strange things happening, and also regarding the different characters - who all had so many secrets and were so suspicious in their own ways throughout the whole book! There were so many possibilities to explain why the strange things were happening in the house, or who was the true murderer - it was impossible to pinpoint exactly what was going on and who was responsible as there were just so many options with everybody being equally suspicious and holding so many secrets! Throughout, there were so many shocking twists that I just loved!!

Baby Doll by Hollie Overton was my next 5 star read! The synopsis of this one is so intriguing; 'You've been held captive in one room since you were 16 years old. Your kidnapper is someone you trusted, someone your family would never suspect. Then one night you realise the door to your cell has been left unlocked. For the first time in 8 years, you're free. This is what happens next...'. This was such a fab page turner, as you just had no idea the whole way through where things were going to go! You had no idea which way things would pan out, would the escape work? Would it not? It was just so gripping, as after each chapter you just couldn't be sure what was going to happen next! 

Another 5 star Ruth Ware book I read in April was The Woman in Cabin 10! Synopsis; 'This was meant to be the perfect trip. The Northern Lights. A luxury press launch on a boutique cruise ship. A chance for travel journalist Lo Blacklock to recover from a traumatic break-in that has left her on the verge of collapse. Except things don't go as planned. Woken in the night by screams, Lo rushes to her window to see a body thrown overboard from the next door cabin. But the records show that no-one ever checked into that cabin, and no passengers are missing. Exhausted and emotional, Lo has to face the fact that she may have made a mistake - either that, or she is now trapped on the boat with a murderer...'.
Another very gripping Ruth Ware read!! At first I struggled to know who was who, as there were so many characters - but as I read more it wasn't really an issue. You struggle to tell what is actually going on in this book, were the events simply a result of Lo being exhausted, or did she really see a body thrown overboard? You just cannot tell which way this book is going to pan out! You really start to mistrust the judgement of Lo as she is extremely stressed and now so many strange things are happening. I loved the huge plot reveal, it really was impossible to guess whether this was all in Lo's mind, or whether there was a murderer and then who could the murderer have been if there was!! I love it when it is impossible to guess as it just makes the plot twist even more shocking and tense! If you are looking for a good thriller recommendation, I definitely recommend Ruth Ware's books - a fab place to start!

Finally, I really want to talk about Blood Orange by Harriet Tyce. Synopsis; 'Alison has it all. A doting husband, adorable daughter, and a career on the rise - she's just been given her first murder case to defend. But all is never as it seems...
Just one more night. Then I'll end it. 
Alison drinks too much. She's neglecting her family. And she's having an affair with a colleague whose taste for pushing boundaries may be more than she can handle.
I did it. I killed him. I should be locked up.
Alison's client doesn't deny that she stabbed her husband - she wants to plead guilty. And yet something about her story is deeply amiss. Saving this woman may be the first step to Alison saving herself.
I'm watching you. I know what you're doing.
But someone knows Alison's secret. Someone who wants to make her pay for what she's done and who won't stop until she's lost everything...'
This was such an explosive thriller - with so many twists throughout. It was so toxic, especially Alison's family life. I also really loved the interlink between Alison's family life and her work life - I loved the exploration of both the case she is working on and how her personal family life is breaking down. Also, wow to the ending!!

Have you read any of these? Please let me know how you found them and also let me know some of your recent 5 star reads! Always love a good recommendation!





Comments